[button link=”#” target=”_blank” color=”default” shape=”rounded” size=”small”]Press Sample/Affiliate Links[/button]
Out of nowhere the world became… sweaty. In PA we went from 60 degree temps up to the 90’s in a matter of days. Good for the pool, not so good for your makeup. Recently Urban Decay sent over some items from their Summer line that have helped a lot in matters of sweat-proof, beat-the-dang-heat makeup. In this post I’m going to share those new products with you as well as share my routine for keeping my makeup on throughout the highest of temps.
*Note: I have VERY OILY skin. This routine will likely not be for you if you have dry skin.
First off, and this will sound crazy so stay with me, I prep my skin with SETTING SPRAY. I kid you not. I tried it one day and it worked. That’s not to say you can skip your primer (I personally can’t), but it aids in the longevity of your makeup. It also might seem like I’m loading on the face products but this is for full-coverage and you don’t need to use a whole lot of each product. Always remember less is more and you can build up as needed!
- Your normal skincare routine. For me this is generally just an eye cream and a moisturizer. If I have a breakout I’ll also pop on some acne spot treatment*.
- Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Setting Spray*. Shake it up and mist your face as directed. Allow it to dry.
- Make Up For Ever Step 1 Mattifying Primer. I press this into the oiliest of areas (for me, that’s my T-Zone and cheeks so I stay away from the outer perimeter of my face).
- First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Triple Remedy. For some, this likely won’t be necessary. I have darkness at the inner corners of my eye so I always dab on a bit of this before I go in with any face makeup.
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation. I’ve looked high and low for something comparable that does not budge and so far nothing has topped this foundation. I’ve had hair dressers scrub at my forehead to remove dye and the foundation is STILL THERE. A lot of this foundation has been purchased now by the girls at my salon! LOL! I like to apply this with the Clarisonic Sonic Foundation Brush* or the Sigma 3DHD Kabuki Brush* for fuller coverage. *Note: You should go in store to get color matched for this, it’s a little confusing online.
- Tarte Shape Tape. JUST A DAB under each eye will do ya. You do NOT need to paint your face with this. I use a beautyblender to blend this out.
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer. I’ve found that the Shape Tape isn’t great for me to cover blemishes with so I use this to hid acne marks. If Shape Tape is too heavy for you it’s also fabulous for an under-eye concealer. I’ve repurchased it several times over!
- IT Cosmetics Celebration Foundation*. This is a powder foundation that has fabulous coverage. I use it to set everything I did in the steps above. For this I use a flat top brush*. (can you tell yet that I need crazy amounts of full coverage?!)
- Urban Decay The Velvetizer Translucent Mix-In Medium*. This gives a lovely matte finish and helps to set your makeup throughout the day. It keeps my oils down which is why I add it on-top of another powder. Layering doesn’t make it look cakey and when you’re as oily as I am gives the extra matte look that I need. Feels like silk! If you’re looking for one that isn’t so matte check out the Urban Decay Naked Skin The Illuminizer* – it’s a translucent pressed powder that gives a luminous and multi-dimensional finish while still setting your makeup! Very light-weight.
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Shapeshifter*. Normally I gravitate toward powder cheek products but the Shapeshifter is amazing. It’s everything in one (hello, travel-friendly) to give you everything you need to contour, highlight and color-correct. One side has three powders for contouring plus a highlight and the other side has creams – two for contour two color-correcting and one highlighting. Place the cream shades down and then set with the powder side. Use a light hand with the cream and then a light hand when you’re setting with the powder side so you don’t have over-kill. Two palettes are available in Light Medium Shift (my match) and Medium Dark Shift.Can I just say I LOVE the packaging on this. I’m never a fan of powders and creams in the same palette but because this one keeps the formulas separated it’s perfect and nothing gets gross. I definitely use the powder side more than the cream, but when I want the full-coverage, long-lasting, heat-resistant effect I use the cream first. The new Urban Decay Pro Contour Shapeshifter Brush* is PERFECT to use with the palette.
- Benefit GALifornia Blush. I truly cannot put this down. It is the PERFECT shade for me for Spring and Summer. I swirl my brush around and pop some color on my cheeks. I’ve heard that some people are saying they get no color from it but please go trade it in for another one because you had to have gotten a bad batch, I ordered mine from Sephora and its beautiful!
- Urban Decay Anti-Aging Primer Potion*. I always use this first. Swipe away any excess oils from your lids (I just use my finger to do this, which probably isn’t the best but whatever. Also, don’t use the oily finger to apply the product) and then using a dabbing blending motion apply a bit of the primer to each eye lid.
- MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot. Yup, I double up in the Summer. Painterly is my fave for this. Set it with a similar eyeshadow shade (see below).
- Urban Decay Naked Heat Palette. I threw this in because I want it for Summer and the warm, red tones are what I’m craving! Besides that in the Summer I generally go for neutral eyes with a pop of teal. My favorite neutral palettes that I’ve been loving are MAC In the Flesh*, Urban Decay Naked Basics* and tarte Tartelette in Bloom.
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner. Are you tired of people talking about this yet? Don’t be, because it’s truly the best. I use this on my upper lash line for the perfect, budge-proof wing.
- Jouer Slim Creme Eyeliner. I stared at this for awhile before I bought it. Waterproof got me like that and I like to try them all in my waterline. This stayed so well on the top and bottom without migrating or running. At the end of the day it was faded a bit in the waterline but was still noticeable which is all I can ask for there. I tried it in the black shade and plan on picking up a few more.
- L’Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise Mascara*. Generally I’m no fan of waterproof mascara. It doesn’t seem to do anything for me or my lashes. BUT this new mascara from L’Oreal does ALL the things for my lashes… lift, curl, volume… plus it stays on through anything yet still removes easily (not as easy as non-waterproof, but easier than most other waterproof mascaras I’ve tried). I have a full post coming soon on the blog!
- Kat Von D Everlasting Lip Liner. I can’t even tell you how many ways I love this lip liner. Lolita and Bow N Arrow are my neutral must-haves. I swatched a bunch of them last week at Sephora and they would NOT come off throughout the day. As for the lips the two I have also stay on all day. I can’t recommend them enough!
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick. Not all of them, but most of them do NOT budge. My faves are Lolita, Lolita II and Bow N Arrow! If you want a few other options check out Huda Beauty and Wet N Wild MegaLast Liquid Catsuit (I reviewed ALL of these in order from best to worst).
It’s important to note that, again, this is my full-coverage makeup routine. When I go out or have an event, this is what happens. I’m also the girl that heads to the pool with nothing but my discoloration and break-outs showing. What I’m saying it full-coverage isn’t necessary for all days of life, but sometimes you need it. If it makes you feel more beautiful, like it does me, go for it!
shop this post
How do you sweat-proof your makeup to beat the heat? See what the other Makeup Wars bloggers love by clicking on the icons below!
*The products mentioned in this post that are followed with a* were sent to me for possible review. All other items were purchased by me. This post also contains some affiliate links. All opinions are my own and remain honest.