As an over-30 mom of 2 very active kids I don’t always have the time to go full-glam with my makeup. However because my skin is acne-prone I do rely on a daily, full-coverage makeup routine. In this post I’ll be sharing this routine with you and once you get it down it’ll only take you 15 minutes MAX.
The first thing you do always is skincare. Right now my primary routine is with Emme Diane Skincare and it’s been working well for me. Currently I’m suffering from a breakout because I was sick and my skin likes to beat me down when that happens. BUT that’s what prompted me to do this tutorial which was supposed to be on my Instagram stories to save to highlights but Instagram deleted it because I talk WAY too much. Obviously do whatever skincare works for your own skin.
To begin my skin is very oily and extremely acne-prone. I need to cover A LOT OF THINGS. But also I got tired of constantly working that full, heavy-coverage beat mostly daily. I tweaked up my routine a bit and found one that I’m loving for daily use so I can save that heavy look for an evening out.
1. PRIME your skin. My favorite for months now has been Too Faced Primed & Peachy Cooling Matte Skin Perfecting Primer. I do this first to let it set on my skin and absorb completely before I go in with my other face makeup.
2. Get at your brows. Honestly when I don’t do my brows at least a bit I just never feel finished. Mine are so sparse so I like to go in with Benefit Precisely, My Brow and then set that with Benefit Foolproof Brow Powder. I top it all off with Benefit 3D Browtones (all in shade 03). I use Benefit High Brow to sharpen out and highlight the area right under the brows.
3. Hiding things. Yes, breakouts & redness need to go. Unfortunately we can’t rush it so we hide it. For my face I begin by using IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Breakout on only the active acne. It’s full coverage if you use the right brush and press it in rather than buff it.
Then I take Maybelline Green Coverstick and put that on my cheeks to hide the redness. Blend that out with a beautyblender. Once that’s handled I put on a medium coverage, light feeling foundation. Lately I’m loving Physician’s Formula The Healthy Foundation. I put that on with the applicator and blend using the beautyblender.
After that I spot conceal with a thick concealer. My favorite since it’s release has been IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Concealing Pot. To apply this I take the same brush I used with Bye Bye Breakout and use the small side to press the concealer directly on the spot I’m wanting to cover and I buff out around that area (but not directly on top of that area). I also do this at the inner corners of my eyes.
Because my under eye area has been a little dry lately I’ve switched gears and gone for a more hydrating concealer. The L’Oreal Infallible Pro Glow Concealer is light and does a good job at masking dark circles. I apply liberally and go in with the beautyblender.
Yes, we’re still hiding but also we’re baking. My favorite setting powder is the Too Faced Peach Perfect Mattifying Loose Setting Powder. It sets everything in place, keeps me as matte as I’m ever going to be and also helps to brighten my complexion. Also it smells AMAZING. I press all that in with my beautyblender focusing on the under eye area but also applying it to my t-zone.
I finish off my face makeup with IT Cosmetics Celebration Foundation. It’s a powder that just makes everything set into place even more, hides even more and helps me to appear at least somewhat as flawless as I’ll ever be lol. I apply this by pressing it in with this brush.
4. Make your eyeballs stand out. The best way to hide things is to make something else the focus. One of my favorite features is my eyes so even if it’s a more neutral day I always make sure they stand out.
For easy days I tend to opt for an all over eye shade through the crease to move as quickly as possible and not worry so much about blending. In this look I used the matte taupe, bronze and white gold shades in the Milani Bare Necessities Everyday Eyes Palette. Because this palette doesn’t have a matte bone/cream color shade to blend out the color shadow into the brow highlight I pulled out my MAC In the Flesh Eyeshadow x 15 and used Elemental. This palette is fabulous for when you need a neutral shade and can’t find it. 9 times out of 10 it’ll be inside In the Flesh.
For liner I went with Urban Decay Corrupt 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil (you always want that tried and true shade) and for mascara I used Butter London Stroke of WOW. This is a new mascara and I was impressed with the thickness and volume it gave my lashes.
5. Wake up your face. Because there is a lot of face products in this look you absolutely cannot skimp out on the blush and bronzer. In this look I went with the bronzer side of the Charlotte Tilbury Bronze & Blush Palette and for blush I went with Flower Beauty Sweet Pea because of the matte finish and because the color just molds into my cheeks for the perfect flush. Generally for a daily look I skip the highlighter but lately I’ve been so in love with Anastasia Beverly Hills x Amrezy that I just can’t resist!
6. Perfect your pucker. Okay, usually it’s a bit of liner, sheer gloss and done but I did go a little extra today. I always line my lips to even them out and make them look a little more full. For this you’ll want something neutral-ish. In this look I used the NYX Peekaboo Neutral Lip Liner. I topped it off with the Urban Decay Backtalk Hi-Fi Shine Lipgloss, which was much more pigmented than I thought but the pairing between the two was perfection.
Even though this seems like a lot it really doesn’t take a whole lot of time and it gives me a little more confidence throughout my day. You can click any of the links or pics above to shop the look and look out for another, similar look on my Instagram stories because I’m definitely going to do this again over there!
What are some of your favorite products to wear in your every day makeup look?