You just spend time on applying your makeup. Hours, even (doesn’t it seem that way sometimes?!). It’s not crazy to want that work of art to stay in place all day… or at least for as long as possible. For those of us with oily skin the struggle is real. A loose powder is going to keep you more matte. A pressed setting powder is okay, particularly if you need to keep it in your purse, but it’s not going to work as well as loose.
Below you’ll find my list of the Top 10 Products to Set Your Face with for oily skin. These are the ones I’ve found that help the best at keeping me matte and set.
- Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder($38.00 // Nordstrom). ALL the YouTubers that have any sort of experience with oily skin have been going on about this being the powder to suck up all that oil and mattify your face as well as set it all the live long day. I fought buying it because I didn’t think it would work better than the rest… but you know what? It does. I’ve been using this non-stop since I bought it to set and bake. It’s kept my makeup from creasing all day and while it doesn’t keep me matte for the day it does help me stay matte longer.
- IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Silk HD Anti-Aging Micro-Powder($24.00 // ULTA Beauty). This is the only one I’ve found to be on the same level as the Laura Mercier, and it’ll be the one I repurchase because it’s $14.00 cheaper. Major bonus it feels amazing when you apply it to your face.
- Maybelline FaceStudio Master Fix Setting + Perfecting Loose Powder($9.99 // ULTA Beauty). A good, budget friendly loose powder option. It works just as well as it’s high-end counterparts at setting makeup and keeping oil at bay.
- NARS Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder($37.00 // Sephora). This was the first setting powder I found to actually work well for my oily skin. Before I picked up the Laura Mercier I used to alternate with this and the Make Up For Ever (below).
- Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder($35.00 // Sephora). This is one that I alternated with the NARS before I picked up the LM. It really does a fabulous job at setting, hiding, perfecting… all the things!
- Tarte Smooth Operator™ Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder($33.00 // Sephora). I got a sample of this in one of their kits and use it when I travel! It does a great job at mattifying and setting no matter what the weather.
- PIXI Quick Fix Powder($20.00 // Target). I love this one because it’s perfect to keep in your makeup bag! It’s got a little sponge on the top to keep you matte and oil free all day.
- ELF Translucent High Definition Powder($6.00 // Target). On a super budget? There’s a matte setting powder for that. At $6.00 there’s no excuse for not setting your makeup or keeping your oil down!
- Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray($30.00 // Sephora). This is a spray I’ve used on myself as well as on brides or others that I’ve done makeup for. It seems to work the best for all skin types across the board at holding makeup in place. After you spray be sure not to scrunch up your face or move it around at all until it dries… you don’t want lines to form! There is also one called the De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray that I’m itching to try!
- NYX Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray($7.99 // ULTA Beauty). The most budget-friendly of all of the makeup setting sprays that actually work! This works as well as the Urban Decay and sometimes at ULTA you can snag them at buy one get one half off!
If you’re oily I recommend always using a loose powder. There are mini sizes available for travel if you’re in a pinch so make sure you check the “impulse” areas of your local Sephora and ULTA Beauty.
What products do you use to set your makeup? Share your recommendations in the comments and check out what the other bloggers are loving by clicking the icons below!