Press Sample/Affiliate Links
Yes, your hair is oily. YES, you can still use hair masks! My hair gets oily 12 hours after I wash it (barely lasting a day) but I still treat my locks to a deep conditioning treatment once a week. Just because my scalp gets slick quick, doesn't mean it doesn't need love too!
How to use a hair mask when you have an oily scalp: When wearing a mask I apply beginning at the roots working up to the mid-length area (like where a low ponytail would begin), because that is the area that requires the most attention. I comb that through using a wide toothed comb and then comb all the excess product through my root area and down. After that, I simply follow the instructions on the packaging. Maybe it's a 2 minute mask, maybe it's 20. When it's time to wash it out I always begin washing out the product at the roots, working my way down to the bottom.
Here are a few of my faves!!
- Phyrra Pretty Little Elixir ($15.99, Future Derm). I love that I can coat my hair top to bottom with this and it's not oily or wet looking even after I've dried it. Sometimes when I OD on a hair mask that happens. This is currently on sale for $15.99 (down from $39.99) so stock up now!
- Aviva Hair Rescue ($32.95 for 7.0 oz, Aviva Hair)*. This is a Keratin Renewal Masque that is safe for color treated hair. My favorite part about this is that you only have to leave it on for 3 minutes (but up to 10, if you wish) and it still makes my hair look, feel and smell amazing. Yes, the scent is to die for... fruity but not overly so. The price is a bit higher than you might care for, but do note that there is a 30 day money back guarantee, which personally always makes me feel better about trying something new and spending the cash.
- LUSH R & B Hair Treatment ($22.95 for 3.5 oz, LUSH). Control the frizz, control the flyaways. This mask is fantastic for when I need my hair to be extra silky smooth (let's face it, that's all of the time).
- LUSH Shine So Bright ($9.95 for 0.4 oz, LUSH). I don't know if I can really count this as a mask, but I love to work this into my split ends so I don't need to get my hair trimmed as much. It's a hair treatment that we all need in our bathroom!
- Novex Brazilian Keratin ($14.99 for 35.3 oz, Sally Beauty Supply). I got this in my August Beauty Box 5 and I am able to get several uses out of one packet. This is another one that keeps my hair smooth and silky. Did I mention it's also super affordable?
- Agadir Argan Oil Moisture Mask ($14,63 for 1 pack at Amazon). This mask is amazing at making your hair not only look good, but also stop breaking (which I had major issues with when I went crazy blonde last year).
- Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment ($42.00 for 8 oz, Sephora). When I first used this mask my hair was in dire need of help from the Summer heat. The frizz is real, you guys. I love the No Frizz line of products and this mask falls right in with that collection as an HG hair item!
- OGX Quenched Sea Mineral Moisture Surge Treatment ($7.99 for 6.7 fl. oz, Ulta). When I bought the Sea Mineral Shampoo and Conditioner I picked up this treatment as well. It really makes my hair soft and manageable. The conditioner is so good that this treatment works along the same lines, but I like to use this better because the packaging is more user friendly. The conditioner bottle makes it hard to get product out, this type of squeeze tube is much easier!
- Neutrogena Deep Recovery Hair Mask ($7.99 for 6 oz, Ulta). I love this for my ends because they just get so dehydrated and almost dead looking. This mask is an inexpensive way to put softness and life back into them.
- Marc Anthony Oil of Morocco Deep Hydrating Conditioning Treatment ($2.99 for 1 pack, Ulta). This mask contains Argan Oil AND Keratin AND Grape Seed Oil for a saturating hair treatment. It's basically a hair cure-all. I can't use it weekly, but once a month I like to coat my ends in this and let it sit.
What is your favorite hair mask? Check out what the other bloggers are into by clicking the icons below!
A * symbol denotes a product received for potential review. All other products were purchased by me. This post also contains affiliate links.