*Press Sample/Affiliate Links
Maybelline has always had a consistent track record for providing high-quality yet affordable makeup options. I’ve long been a fan of their Color Tattoos, especially. But this year… this year they’re winning me over in a big way with their foundations *insert shocked face emoji here*.
Maybelline Dream Cushion Foundation
Normally I wouldn’t refer to myself as a fan of “cushion foundations”. I don’t know why but they never provide me with everything I need. In fact, I haven’t tried one since 2014 because, while the product itself wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t for me. When Maybelline sent over their new Dream Cushion Foundation my expectations weren’t high. It said “fresh faced”. It said “luminous”. I need full coverage and I need matte.
Still, I decided that out of the entire box of items they sent over the Dream Cushion Foundation would be what I tried out first – and I’m so glad I did.
Maybelline Dream Cushion Foundation ($15.99 MSRP) is touted as being an on-the-go, lightweight liquid foundation that gives you complete, luminous coverage. When I figured out how to work this foundation to suit me, I liked it even more than the FIT ME!® Matte + Poreless Foundation that I have been wearing for the last few months.
For me, this foundation was easy to apply, was full-coverage and lasted all day. I used some mattifying primers but it worked well with them and gave me a slight glow, but not anything over the top. When I didn’t use those primers my oily skin got way too “glowy” (see below).
- They give you a “puff” so that you can apply this on the go, which works out for touch-ups, but not so much for the initial application. If you are a fresh-faced loving person… it’ll be okay. I’m not that person.
- The flat-topped kabuki that I used for the FIT ME! foundation was okay, but the foundation seemed to go on too heavy when I used that. It smoothed out decently, but it was just too much product.
- The beautyblender is what you want to use. I dabbed a damp one lightly onto the cushion & applied as usual. One dab on the cushion covered half my face. When I applied the foundation this way it looked much more natural and felt a lot lighter on my skin but still provided the full coverage.
- You NEED a primer with this. Well… you do if you have pores like me. Without a primer it shows ALL THE PORES. Because I like to hide those beasts and also stay matte I used my regular combo of Benefit The POREfessional Matte Rescue Invisible Finish Mattifying Gel and Make Up For Ever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer. I haven’t yet found a drugstore product that I like as much as this duo (confession: I haven’t really tried many), so I’m open to suggestions!
There are 8 shades available in 10 Porcelain, 15 Ivory, 20 Classic Ivory, 30 Warm Nude, 40 True Beige, 45 Medium Beige, 55 Caramel and 60 Cocoa.
Maybelline Dream Brightening Creamy Concealer
Again, generally a stick concealer doesn’t work well for me. But the Maybelline Dream Brightening Creamy Concealer ($7.99 MSRP) actually is creamy and it actually does hide all the things! It’s said to blend easily to instantly brighten dark circles, cover imperfections and smooth uneven skin tone. The formula uses light-reflecting pearls to provide medium to full coverage.
- You can apply this with your finger and it will blend out nicely, but I found the best way was to apply to the undereye area and imperfections directly with the stick and then blend it out with the beautyblender.
- Set each eye immediately by baking (with a setting powder and your beautyblender) to stop creasing, which I noticed happened pretty quickly if I didn’t bake.
- I used two different shades because I like my undereye area to look a little brighter. Shade 20 was perfect for under the eyes while shade 30 had the perfect, peachy tone to hide imperfections.
There are 6 shades available in 10 Fair, 20 Light, 30 Light/Medium, 40 Medium, 50 Medium/Deep and 60 Deep.
The biggest gripe I think that Maybelline will have with these two products is that there isn’t a huge shade range available. I think the products will be enough of a hit to warrant a few more shades launching in the future, so we can hope!
What is your favorite drugstore foundation? Do you like the “cushion” type?
Pick up Maybelline products at any local drugstore such as Target, Walmart, Rite-Aid, CVS, Walgreens or at ULTA Beauty. The Dream Cushion Foundation and Dream Brightening Creamy Concealer are listed on my paper as launching in January 2017 but on the Maybelline Instagram page I read they would be launching later this month! Keep your eyes peeled!