The Power of Chocolate
The Benefits For The Skin, Health and Mood
Dr. Howard Murad, FAAD, Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine at UCLA and founder of Murad, Inc., has said numerous times, “Before there was medicine, there was food. And before there was food, there was chocolate!”
Chocolate invokes the feelings of comfort, romance and happiness. It’s given as gifts for major holidays and is an ancient delicacy that was exclusive to the upper class. But few understand the health benefits of chocolate, outside of its sugary sweetness.
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, Dr. Murad is explaining what added bonuses chocolate can give you. Eat up!
- Contrary to what you grew up thinking, chocolate does NOT cause breakouts
- Chocolate contains flavonoids, which act as antioxidants and protect the body from aging caused by free radicals
- Chocolate is a slight mood elevator, as it contains phenyl ethylamine.
- The carbohydrates in chocolate raise serotonin levels in the brain, resulting in a sense of well-being
- Cacao contains antibacterial properties that fight tooth decay
It’s important to remember to eat chocolate in moderation; a little goes a long way. But forget the myths and enjoy the chocolate goodness. Your skin, health and attitude will thank you!