Illamasqua is still a brand that I’m getting used to. Even though it’s been around for awhile it isn’t accessible to me for testing and swatching purposes.
The Complement Palette for Fall 2012 marks the very first time for me to experience Illamasqua eye shadows. I’ll admit, my expectations are high for this one, since I adore their Precision Ink and nail polish. I was not disappointed.
What the Sephora website has to say about the Illamasqua Complement Palette:
What it is:
A romantic palette of four eye shadows perfect for highlighting and contouring.
What it does:
Explore your alter-ego with this palette that combines matte and shimmer shadows with a creamy metallic shade. Highlight, brighten, and contour with the highly pigmented, versatile shadows, then boost the drama and definition by alternating textures. The supreme formulas allow for quick and easy blending and ensure a gorgeous, intense color with high payoff.
This set contains:
– 0.07 oz cream eye shadow in Focus
– 3 x 0.05 oz eye shadow in Slink, Queen of the Night, Forgiveness
What it is formulated WITHOUT:
– Synthetic Dyes
What else you need to know:
Mix the Queen of the Night shadow with Sealing Gel to create a water-resistant eye liner.
This quad has four shades:
- Slink is a soft ivory champagne shimmer that makes an excellent highlight shade, as well as a pop for the inner corners of the eyes. You’ve seen a shade such as this before, but every quad should have one to work with the other, darker colors of the group.
- Focus is a taupe cream shadow and is probably my most favorite thing on Earth. It’s considered an Illamasqua Liquid Metal, so it applies wet, but dries like a dream. It’s the perfect base for your sultry Complement Palette eye shadows.
- Queen of the Night is a blackened purple with fine shimmers. This one was still fabulous, but out of the four fell the most flat in terms of usage. It looked fabulous on top of the crease and outer V colors, helping to smoke out the look. The Sephora website recommends using this shade wet as a liner.
- Forgiveness is a reddened plum. The finish is matte, which usually doesn’t mean good things. With this shadow, it’s ridiculously easy to use and has great pigment.
After applying these shadows I immediately took to “the Twitter” and expressed my love for Illamasqua eye shadows. Seriously. WTF was I waiting for?! They are ridiculously pigmented, apply like they’re made for me and wear all day. You can’t ask for anything more.
For this EOTD I started off using the cream shadow in Focus all over the lid with Forgiveness dusted over top. Queen of the Night is in the crease and a bit in the outer V and Slink was used at the inner corners and to highlight. For a liner I used Illamasqua Wisdom Precision Ink and the mascara is Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Excess in Night Violet.
Purchase the Illamasqua Complement Palette at Sephora for $45.00 USD.